Monday 9 June 2008

OK - Let's Get Started

Right... I am capturing this from the start.

I have just transferred £70,000 from cash ISA's into Equity accounts following the change in rules introduced by HRMC in April this year.

My aim with this is to start a high yielding equity portfolio biased, but not excluded to UK equities to build a reliable and increasing income for retirement. I am 38 years old so have at least 22 years in which to build up the fund.

All dividends will be re-invested to enhance capital and I will track all dividends received and monitor the capital value of the porfolio once a month and report it here. I will also discuss new opportunities I am looking at, which will be purchased using the dividend income received from the income received from start up. I would really value comments and/or suggestions.

I've just set up the initial portfolio thus (detailing companies and the proportion of the overall portfolio at the end of last week):


Admiral Group - 1.55%
Altria Group - 0.43%
Amlin - 1.38%
Aviva - 1.83%
Barclays - 3.22%
Barratt Developments - 0.54%
Braemar Shipping - 1.41%
Brit Insurance Holdings - 1.20%
BT Group - 2.84%
Chesnara - 1.32%
Close Borthers - 1.4%
Dairy Crest - 1.41%
FirstGroup - 1.39%
GlaxoSmithKline- 4.07%
Halfords - 1.41%
Highway Insurance - 1.23%
iShares UK Dividend Plus - 1.4%
Marks and Spencer Group 1.09%
National Grid - 2.73%
Pearson - 1.35%
Pennon Group - 3.01%
Persimmon - 1.57%
Philip Morris International - 1.02%
Primary Health Properties - 1.5%
Prodesse Investment - 2.73%
Provident Financial - 1.2%
Reynolds American - 0.7%
RDSB - 6.31%
Scottish and Southern Energy - 3.91%
Tate & Lyle - 1.4%
United Utilities - 2.27%
William Hill - 1.22%
Alliance & Leicester - 2.2%
Bp - 12.72%
British American Tobacco - 7.9%
Cattles - 1.42%
Clarkson - 1.57%
HSBC - 2.54
Intermediate Capital - 1.92%
Land Securities - 2.41%
Llloyds TSB - 2.76%
Savills - 0.95%
Severn Trent - 1.18%
Taylor Wimpey - 0.84%


.... with the balance in cash and a couple of small legacy holdings.

So, this is where we go from here. Obviously, some of the stocks in the porfolio have been bought a few weeks ago, compared to the final tranche last week. That is why some of the percentages may look low (due to initial capital loss after purchase) but I am looking at income, not capital at the moment. I am a firm believer that if dividend income rises over time then capital values will follow.

Join me as I update the blog regularly with thoughts and ideas!

No comments: